Friday, February 11, 2011

It's always time for a change.

If there is anything that is consistent in our home it is that there is never enough money and always too much garbage.  So in an attempt to keep more money and have less trash I give you Eco-ish Mama.  It will be our journey as we find solutions to turn the tables on consumption and waste in our family.

The first battle may be the biggest:

As I look at our dining room table I see the remains of 2 fast food kid's meals and 1 small combo meal from a burger joint that is unfortunately a block away.  It is an image that occurs far too often at our house.  I don't know that it is all that more convenient to simply throwing together a sandwich and cutting up a couple pieces of fruit.  However, something in my brain urges me to choose the former.

It certainly is more expensive.  For $14 a trip we get chicken nuggets and a toy for the kids and a days worth of saturated fat for Mama.  At twice a week or so, that is $56 a month.  Most months it is more than that.

As for the trash angle, the toys are definitely garbage and help only to clutter up my home to no end.  Then the actual waste from the to-go containers take up about 1 cubic foot before compaction.  Off to the landfill it goes.  Nothing worth recycling there.

The solution here is simple: Stop going to the burger joint.  Easy enough a statement.  You will see how well we do with the execution, especially in the last 5 weeks of my third pregnancy.

3 comments:

  1. We're lucky we don't have fast food nearby or we would be much more tempted by it. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We lived on sandwiches in the last month of my most recent pregnancy... seriously. E and I had cheese sandwiches for lunch and we ALL had turkey or ham (depending on what was on sale) sandwiches for dinner - along with apples or whatever other fruit had been in the coop delivery. I figured that since it was so much cheaper, we could afford to buy the more expensive bread that lacked that all important ingredient - high fructose corn syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made a new year's resolution for menu planning and packing lunches everyday. Even those that are at home can still plan the lunch thing. We were spending so much money and through other blogs as well as my new one I just started, I have found total inspiration and saved us a GIANORMOUS amount of money in the first month alone. Money that now is re-purposed for more important things - like baby clothes! :)

    ReplyDelete